Return to Jarada Productions

Sunday 7 October 2007

Season 2 of Goldsmiths Uni

So, my second year of University is upon me, and I have already completed the first week! So, as promised, I will be writing about the various course units that I will be doing this year!

CIS220: Graphical Oriented and Internet Programming in Java
Fridays

This course is my favourite! It involves more intense Java programming then the previous year, and may also touch on some new areas of Java I don't already know. The book they are using I used in the previous year, and it is extremely good, so I have high hopes for this course. We will be doing Graphical Oriented programming in the first term, then Internet Programming in the second.

CIS221: Data Communications and Website Design
Mondays, Tuesdays

This course is also divided into two parts, with the first part being Data Communications and the second part being Website Design. Data Communications teaches networking; the physical and logical way of diagnosing, setting up and fixing such networks. This looks to be extremely useful for the future! The second part involves the design and construction of websites, and so looks to be equally useful!

CIS224: Software Projects: Software Engineering and Research
Tuesdays

This course goes through the successful way to research and engineer software projects on a much larger scale, and also shows us the bad ways of doing projects. It does show examples in Java, but the ideas presented in this course are designed to encompass all programming languages in general; although Object-Oriented Programming is stated to be the better way of programming.

CIS225: Database Systems
Mondays

With the first part of term doing the backend of a database (using PostgreSQL) and the second part of the term doing the frontend (using Oracle), this course covers using Databases and how to connect them to your Java programs in a nice easy to fit package. As I have done an A-Level course in Databases, I understand the basics behind this course so I hope to do well.

Well, that's it folks! Hope you enjoyed the run-through of my initial thoughts about each course! And stay tuned for a review of the latest Avatar episode, coming soon to my blog!

No comments: