Return to Jarada Productions

Tuesday 2 October 2007

The Headband

Review of Avatar: The Last Airbender episode
Book 3: Fire
Chapter 2: The Headband

The Headband is the second chapter in the Gaang's attempt to hide out in Fire Nation territory. Due to the attempt by the Gaang to blend in with the local Fire Nation populace by acquiring new clothes, Aang is mistaken as a school kid and taken to Fire Nation school. Here, he attempts to provide a greater freedom to the children's education by throwing a secret dance party. Meanwhile, Zuko confronts his Uncle on his actions at Ba Sing Se.

This episode is truly a gem in the Avatar collection. It has everything Avatar fans could possibily want, and provides a much brighter atmosphere then the Season premiere did. Aang's dance ends up with a dance similar to the special couple at the school ball, where the two dance around together while being watched. Thus, Aang and Katara have a fantastically animated dance which is extremely well done. There is also a fight between Aang and a bully which shows Aang's skill in defeating his opponent despite not laying a single finger on him; something not to be missed!

Sokka is once again outdone with clever and witty jokes, including pretending to be Aang's father (along with Katara as Aang's mother) when Aang gets in trouble at school; while Zuko's interactions with his uncle (who refuses to speak) shows he is completely unsure that he has what he wants, and provides a more eerie, darker side of the plot (and still no conclusion on Zuko).

Overall, a superb episode and one that is a must see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the episode "The Headband" and it knocked down "The Blind Bandit" as my new favorite! I am truly amazed! Toph is my favorite character and I can't beleive that this episode switched with the episode they meet her at the top of my list! I have no idea why, but my favorite part is when the dude tries to hit Aang. Without even trying he just steps aside, having the bully punch at air. Aang keeps on casually stepping out of the way, which just made me crack up that this guy is huffing and puffing and punching with all his might just to have his would-be target swiftly step aside! The Avatar creators outdid themselves this time! I hope you all look at it! I watched it today on channel 222 on the Avatar "Aangs Giving Weekend". They showed every episode ever made, and I watched every episode ever made, and yet, it is DEFINITELY still my favorite!